Wednesday, May 6, 2009

You get what you pay for

A post from my blog for photographers. I did this post back in May.

Sooo.... I go into the camera store to by a 50mm Canon lens. I asked them if there was a big difference between the 50mm 1.8 and the 50mm 1.4. They said the only real difference was that the 1.8 was cheaper plastic and would break easier. I decided that I would save some money. Well after using it i was quite disappointed. I had it for 3 weeks and was suppose to take it back within 5 days if there were any problems with it. I figured I'd try my luck taking it back though because I knew for a fact that I wouldn't be using it again and didn't want $100 to go to waste. The guy at the camera store was super nice (I made sure to look for the nicest one) and he pulled out a brand new lens so I could see the difference (good thing I took my camera). There wasn't a huge difference between mine and the new one so I asked to try the 1.4 lens. WOW HUGE difference!!! I don't think I'll be trying to save money by going cheaper anymore when it comes to lenses. You get what you pay for!!! Unfortunately the guy took a picture of me to test the lenses so you have to see my eye zoomed in, but I did want to show the difference!
This first Picture was with the lens I bought, Canon's 50mm 1.8New Canon 50mm 1.8 lens right out of the box. Even worse than the one I bought!!

This Last one Canon's 50mm 1.4 lens. Can you SEE the DIFFERENCE!!!! Look at the color difference too!
The guy was nice enough to take the 1.8 lens back and give me the 1.4 lens instead. It was a few hundred dollars more but it's worth every penny paid!

1 comment:

  1. I have been looking at that lense (50mm 1.4) but have been hesitant to spend a couple hundred more than the 1.8 Thanks for the info Jo! It was really helpful.

    Do use this as your 'go to' lense or do you like the flexability of a zoom lense? If a zoom, which one?

    ReplyDelete